Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #1443
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
FWIW, I agree with Voldar on some things but not that the DCT should be driven in a very special way...
Kam327, this Ford Focus with the DCT is my first automatic I ever owned. The rest of my cars were 5MT/6 MT. I also drove automatic slush-boxes but I wasn't fond of them, only when I was in a heavy traffic (10km/h, stop, 10km/h a.s.o.) for more than 1 hour I find their purpose.

When I say that driving a DCT needs some skills, I talk mostly about the driver adapting to it and compensating when needed:
- Like when you come to a crossroad and make a right turn, you might feel when you push the gas pedal during the turn (usually at the exit from the turn), that the car is almost stalling (@plunge@), because the DCT is in a higher gear then the one you are thinking it would be and it needs some harder push on the gas pedal to downshift and make it "going forward". In this situation I either brake (before getting into the turn) and then turn (as I would do with a manual) or continue pushing slowly the gas pedal during the whole turn. When driving a slush-box, you don't do any of these because of the converter (or at least I didn't experience something like this when I was driving one).
- Moving from a standstill also is something to adapt for: waiting a full second before pushing the gas pedal, after lifting your foot from the brake is needed, because if not, you'll rev the car only (the clutch is not engaged). Again, for an MT driver this is "normal".
- changing from D to S and manual downshifting when the car is not in the right gear as it should be (usually when coming from a flat road and having to continue on a steep slope; at some point the car doesn't downshift as fast as you'd expect).

I agree these simple things should not be a problem, but for those who were never used to think (don't take it too personal, please) when drive (usually those who drove slush-boxes all their life and never a manual transmission), they might be seen as big ones. Look at how many complain about how the car "plunges" when doing a turn or when on steep slopes.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.