Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 60$$ Premium Oil Change by Dealer!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #37
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMark View Post
The reason I take mine in is so that my oil changes are documented with the dealer so I can prove that they have been done on schedule. That way if I resell it or if a warranty issue comes up my butt is covered. Is it a waste of money? probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki13 View Post
This.

And I don't need to dispose of it either or risk making a mess in the driveway. We also don't put a lot of miles on our cars so 2-3 oil changes per year.
2-3 changes per year... the more changes you do, the more you save doing them yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Just so nobody reading through this thread gets the impression that you MUST have your oil changes done at a dealership or oil change facility in order to have the work documented....you can document it yourself simply by keeping the receipts for the oil & filters.

I purchased a small spiral notebook, and each page is a seperate entry for whatever work I've done, with the receipts get stapled to the back of the pages. Documentation done.
Beat me to it.

You don't need to have your dealership or even a professional do your maintenance. Save your receipts and keep a notebook of your work.

I got 3 free changes thrown in by my dealership when I bought the car. They've done one of the three, and they handed me back the car after NOT performing the tire rotation they claimed they would do. I spent 45 minutes driving, and waited for an hour in the waiting room to get a free oil change. I'm not gonna get too excited about paying the dealer $30 with a coupon to get an oil change I can do myself for $20 in 1/3rd the time. Anything other than "free" and I'd be doing them myself if only for the time savings. Disposal is as simple as dropping off the jug at a location that accepts used oil--takes 2 minutes.

I do understand paying someone else if you don't have a driveway or a garage or the know-how, but those are about the only circumstances. Jiffy-type places are tempting for the speed and price, except I'm reluctant to put their oil in my new car that's spec'ed for semi-synthetic.