Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #1412
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp3583 View Post
If I wanted my car to drive like a manual I would have bought one, as a matter of fact, I wanted a real manual but of course you cant get the one in anything but the stripped down model. Unless you live in a different country.

All you have is a gas pedal, you're at the mercy of the computer to shift properly. Acceleration is completely unpredictable. Sport mode with the shifter is a joke, manually shifting takes over a second to respond.

Driving this car is like perpetually riding shotgun with a kid who has no idea how to drive a stick and never will learn. All you can do is say go (hit the gas) and find something to hang on to while it bucks and grinds through the first 3-4 gears.

This is by far the worst car I have ever driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_C View Post
I did test drive the car, i also did much research and found that the focus was top rated. What i should have done and will do in the future is find a complaint forum and see what owners are saying rather than consumers magazine and motor trend. All the commercial print support a product without extensive evaluation.
Lets address learning how to drive the DCT.
I drive 3 to 4 different vehicles in any given day. i shouldn't NEED to learn to drive the DCT. It should act like an automatic or a manual, either one i would be happy. The DCT has a mind of it's own and it is scary if you live in an area that is not FLAT terrrain.
Where do you live VOLDAR? i am guessing in an area of flat terrain.
I don't consider myself to be stupid, nor everyone else who is having an issue.
By calling people stupid you are only showing your immaturity and narrow mindedness.
How many miles do you all have on your cars? I am going to guess not many. The only time I find that my Focus bucks, is when I am coming to a quick stop and come off the gas pedal fast then the brake pedal and then back on the gas really fast and that has to do with the computer disengaging the clutch as I was braking then re-engaging after I let off the brake and by that time I am already on the gas, therefore creating the bucking issue, so technically its my fault.

You need to let your cars break in. 500 miles isn't broke in for the clutches. These are dual clutches and you would know, if you have ever driven a manual with dual clutches, that dual clutch setups can be very touchy. I have over 11,000 miles on my car and my DCT shifts very smooth anywhere from day to day driving and the occasional romp around. I climb several hills daily, a good majority of them are fairly steep especially for Texas (being from Maine I know steep) and I have never experienced any bucking. I usually hold a steady speed going up the hill and it will downshift smoothly.

If you really wanted a Manual transmission then you should have shopped around some more or should have told your dealership that they needed to find you one. Its not true that a Manual only comes in a stripped down car, the 2012 model year you could get it in a fully loaded SE Sport, the 2013 model year you can get it in the Titanium.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.