Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Sync real hacks wanted!
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
rogotoko
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92871
What I Drive: 2008 Honda VTX1800n

FF Reputation: 1 rogotoko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sync real hacks wanted!

Alright. I understand what sync CAN be, but what it is to me is another piece of Microsoft garbage. I don't want to get into the whole Windows vs. MAC debate. I just need to know this: Has anyone hacked it yet? I'm not talking about a remote reset switch in the glove box. I've done that too. What I mean is, has anyone installed the wrong software on it or software from another vehicle to enable AppLink? If they can put Ubuntu on a iPhone, then the stuff is there to put it on a Sync system. As it sits, I feel like I paid an extra grand for a piece of junk.

Now, I will say this, the software has been better since the upgrade back around March, but this car which I otherwise love, has a sluggish Microsoft Sync system that reminds why I backed away from Microsoft years ago every time I need it.

So again, is there any alternative, other than spending $150 for the Sync bypass and another $150 at Metra, then another $400-$500 to get my dash into this decade? I mean, Window's 98 was more responsive than this thing. I didn't pay Ford for hopes and dreams. I didn't know I was volunteering for a study or to be a guinea pig. And honestly, had I seen the little emblem on the console which reads "Microsoft" while distracted by the great lines of an otherwise great car, I would have rethought which model I purchased.