Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The issues I have with the C-Max are as follows:
1. No standard powertrain variant in North America, hybrids only here where as in the rest of the world its available with a series of various power trains (gas/ diesel, manual and automatic transmissions)

2. It feels like a taller and more top heavy Focus, much like the Escape in fact, only slightly lower to the ground. Ergo it has more body roll and lean to it than a Focus.

3. The Atkinson cycle engine while delivering good fuel economy tended to not sound great with the windows down, particularly combined with the single speed planetary automatic gearbox emulating a CVT and blending in power from the gas engine and electric motors. It did pull nicely and was decently quick for what it was though. It will drive better than a Prius.

4. Both the C-Max and the Escape are not a good substitute for the Focus Wagon. The Focus wagon had more cargo volume than the previous Kuga which the current Escape is also based upon as the Kuga is the crossover version of the Focus, and the C-Max the passenger van, The Grand C-Max closer to that of the Mazda 5 however.

But over all its still better than its direct competition, but don't expect me to run out and order one right away. I did have the chance to test drive one for an event held by Ford however and it was interesting. I still would prefer the Focus wagon however. 2.0L I4 powershift GDI or EcoBoost ST 6MT guise please.