Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #939
dogma_not
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92255
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ingot SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dogma_not Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I'm not sure why the bump stops would need to be lubricated however.
I agree!

If Ford specs don’t require lube originally and the car was delivered without clunks/rattles, then lubing the jounce bumpers later down the road seems to be masking an underlying problem. Throwing some gunk/lube at it seems to be dampening the clunking sounds I had. Right now I’m two weeks post lube service and so far no noises. I wonder what happens when the lube eventually gets depleted and thinned out, does the clunking/rattle come back? I’ll post if anything changes. Perhaps it’s pointing in a right direction. Is there a design flaw with jounce and bumper design or their interface? Can the bumper be loose from its base? Is there a problem with the materials used?

If anyone has access to these noisy pulled parts, could they examine the jounce bumpers and related parts to see if anything looks at amiss? I assume the Ford Engineers are following all the documentation/invoices and getting to the bottom of this?