dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Looks like your graph supports my hypothesis.
I would think that his graph supports mine. If his second fill-up was 25ish mpg, he is averaging (roughly, no Excel backing) at or over 30mpg. Assuming that his first tank was (as many are concerned with) lower mpg than his second, he would be seeing well over 7 mpg's gained simply by the ECU/PCM 'learning'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Here are two graphs I posted a few months here http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...t=myth+busters that weren't too popular. I picked the 20 fuelly users with the greatest number of fillups (at the time) and cut and pasted their fillup data into Excel. I plotted all their mpg points (the faded curves in the background) and inserted a linear trend line on each (the dark lines). Most users had 30 fillups or more, so say 9,000 miles on their vehicles on average.

As you can see, the trendlines are pretty flat over 9,000 (or so) miles. Some go up a little, some go down.
Assuming this to be all users, this also supports what I'm saying. You aren't going to see a gain in 'engine break-in', whether that is 50 miles or 10,000 miles. My engine was broken in within the first 50 miles, given how I break my cars in. The only thing I would be concerned with, on these graphs, would be the very first 3 fill-ups or the 3 fill-ups following a master reset/battery disconnect. By the fourth tank, in my experience, I am at the mileage my car will get (not counting extreme changes in driving habits, another discussion).

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-