Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Weird Problem: No Signs of Life
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
Because a blown fuse will produce an intermittent problem like this? I had a problem like this but it turned out I left my smart key on the porch 30 feet away while cleaning my car and not in my pocket as I thought it was. Yours does sound like a transmission switch issue though.
Unless I misread his problem, he has a no start no power condition.. with the exception of the message center displaying "transmission not in park" when he shifts out of park..

That tells me part of the car is getting power, other parts arent.. Same symptom as in the olden days when a fuseable link blew.. You could have headlights, but no taillights, no igntion, no radio.. no dome light, etc...

When the car isnt running, and the key is in the "on" position.. whether all of it is getting power or not, isn't it normally supposed to say transmission not in park when it is in a gear other than park.. (I have a 5 speed so i don't know this)...

As far as I have seen, we have large mega fuses in the main battery junction in lieu of fuseable links... and I'm betting one is blown.. Thats why he has no power to many of the car's systems.. but power to others.

Now I could be wrong.. He has a titanium with that Intelligent keyless stuff... and it could be something wrong with that, but you'd think you'd still be able to hit the door lock button by the radio and have the locks cycle, as well as at least the parking lights come on when the door is open (altho he didnt mention either way if that was working)...