Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - SOHC Victim's Sympathy Group Therapy!
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
drlenger
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99839
What I Drive: 2003, Focus, SE

Points 504, Level 10
Points: 504, Level: 10 Points: 504, Level: 10 Points: 504, Level: 10
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 drlenger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SOHC Victim's Sympathy Group Therapy!

My 2003 SE SOHC motor blew.....yep that's right, sucked the valve seat in #4, running great one second, toast the next. So after much research and price checking I decided to buy a junk yard motor and upgrade the head. My options were limited, Jasper motor $2,500, $2,000 for a local shop to install. This is my 16 year old daughters car, that I only paid $3,500 for.....so $4,500 was out of the question. So Dad get's to do an engine swap. I have another Focus, a 2000 SE with the DOHC Zetec, that one is my soon to be 16 son's car.

So yesterday my junkyard motor arrived from Lecavalier in Canada off Ebay, 56K on the odometer, looks a little rough, but probably stored outside, price was right $590. Most importantly it has the intake on it so I don't have to worry about fragments from the valve seat explosion from the old motor.

Ordered a reman/updated head from JCL on ebay, $299. I also ordered a full head gasket kit off Ebay for $30. Will probably order a timing belt/water pump kit also.....I am thinking it makes sense to replace it while the motor is on a stand and easily worked on.

As a side note, my local Ford Dealer wanted $1,600 to fix the AC on this car, it was the old pull the whole dash to replace the condensor. But while doing the tear down I found the High side hose from the compressor to the evap unit has a large road debris dent and puncture, much easier than pulling the whole dash.....let's hope that fixes it.

I will keep this thread rolling so other SOHC victims can see the progress, I will try to get some pictures also.