Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Poor Performance After CAI
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
brady_f
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100877
What I Drive: '12 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 brady_f Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
Given that your in Houston, you have to be experiencing weather at least as hot as ours in St. Louis.

With your intake, you are now pulling a lot of air from the engine bay. This already gets hot just from the engine operating. Now add this horrible heat and you get a LOT of heat-soak (if you haven't heard of the term, look it up).

What you are experiencing is a normal side-effect of short ram intakes (the Weapon R is NOT a CAI, even if you were able to fit that snorkel). Sitting at a stop, the heat in the bay has no where to go very fast. It just builds up. Your engine sucking up a lot of hot air isn't great for performance, hence your driving experience.
I've owned 7 different mustangs in the past 3 years....5 of which were Forced Induction cars; so I am pretty familiar with what heat soak feels like on an engine in the Houston area....this car is not experiencing the same symptoms. I am about 90% sure it is tune or A/F ratio related.