Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - SVT owners: Post reviews of your Tune!
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
Fordson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13118
What I Drive: 2003 InfraRed SVT 5-door, loaded -

FF Reputation: 1 Fordson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1. Tom Lesperance (focus-power.com)

2. Diablo Predator

3. $495

4. just over 5 months

5. Hard to install, but that was typical at the time - this was done in the field, and not much was known about bench-flashers and nothing was known about removing the fuses to get T/C control cars to take the flash - this was one of the first cars to get the flash. Took five tries and several hours to get the flash into the car. Impressions were immediate - no bog, slightly higher idle, much fatter midrange and a bit more power overall, different sound, much better general driveability and it made driving with A/C on much more pleasant. One of the problem areas that YRF0 (which I upgraded to from RLA6 after two months of ownership) did not entirely fix was cold-start behavior upon hot restart - it would act cold again for a block or so, even if it had been driven for an hour and shut off for a minute and then restarted. Tom's tune took care of that for good. YRF0 had almost eliminated 2k-3k RPM surge, but the Diablo tune killed it dead. No gas mileage impact at all.

I have always been under the impression that my tune did not change the T/C system's behavior in any way - this was one of the first ones, and I don't think Tom had that down then. I will be testing one of his recent ones over the next week or so - I have the s/w and the cables to hook up my Predator to the PC now. As I understand it, he can now basically make the factory T/C switch act the way it should have all along - it defaults to on, but when you turn it off - it's off.

6.I did not have the unit sent to me - I arranged to meet Tom at a Fun Ford Weekend in New Hampshire - a long drive for me and a busy race weekend for him. He made himself available and worked to overcome some of the technical glitches that cropped up (this was back in the day, now ). He would not take my $$ but just asked me to send him a check if I wanted to keep it, and just return the Predator - with his tune in it - if I didn't. I left and drove 535 miles home. Sent a check later in the week.

7. No scan of my dyno - done at McNews a couple of months later. Peak hp was 149 @ 6600 rpm and peak torque 133 @ just over 5000. Typical bulge below 2500 and from 4000-6000 that these tunes exhibit, compared to stock. Only performance mod other than the tune is a Pipercross drop-in. I have no baseline dyno. Have not fooled with datalogging - yet.

Last edited by Fordson; 02-03-2005 at 10:02 PM.