Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2006 Shift Tower Roll Pin Issue
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
adios1344
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 81145
What I Drive: 2002 Mercury Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 adios1344 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
I have a bolt in mine. It's nice to know that a 6mm will work. I expected 5mm since the 1/4" bolt I had nearly fit. You should use a grade 8 bolt, and if you can find one- nylon locking nut. Jam-nutting is fine, but a single nut and red thread lock would be acceptable.

What you're really looking for is called a spring pin. You'll remember that the Autozone rolled pin didn't look the same as what you took out of there. Yours would've been a harder steel thinner steel rolled several times around itself. Autozone's rolled pin would look like a round pin with a gap in it- one piece of metal.

I personally would like to replace the part with the correct spring pin, but a bolt is acceptable if it's a high strength or hardness. SS is the hardest, but something like a 10.9 or grade 8 would be hard enough and maybe not damage the shift tower. Stick with the bolt IMO.

Thanks again for letting me know a 6mm would work. BTW I used a cap screw (allen head) instead of a bolt. That made it easier to work.
Yeah I do recall seeing that AutoZone's rolled pin was a single piece of metal that was just rolled once with the gap, but thinking of it, I recall the factory roll pin being the same way...? I used class 8.8 bolt, hopefully that'll hold? I'll be putting a bigger bolt in it though, the shaft that goes through the gear selector bit, where the pin actually is, the shaft has a large diameter than the little piece, causing slop in the movement of the counter-weights spinning motion. I'm going to ever-so-slightly drill out that little piece so it might be a 7mm bolt that'll fit in there... I'll update in a few hours when I get that far.