Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2006 Shift Tower Roll Pin Issue
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have a bolt in mine. It's nice to know that a 6mm will work. I expected 5mm since the 1/4" bolt I had nearly fit. You should use a grade 8 bolt, and if you can find one- nylon locking nut. Jam-nutting is fine, but a single nut and red thread lock would be acceptable.

What you're really looking for is called a spring pin. You'll remember that the Autozone rolled pin didn't look the same as what you took out of there. Yours would've been a harder steel thinner steel rolled several times around itself. Autozone's rolled pin would look like a round pin with a gap in it- one piece of metal.

I personally would like to replace the part with the correct spring pin, but a bolt is acceptable if it's a high strength or hardness. SS is the hardest, but something like a 10.9 or grade 8 would be hard enough and maybe not damage the shift tower. Stick with the bolt IMO.

Thanks again for letting me know a 6mm would work. BTW I used a cap screw (allen head) instead of a bolt. That made it easier to work.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.