Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2006 Shift Tower Roll Pin Issue
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
adios1344
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 81145
What I Drive: 2002 Mercury Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 adios1344 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
2006 Shift Tower Roll Pin Issue

Well after dicking around with the car and pulling the trans, my problems indeed were the roll pin. Sheared into 3 pieces, what a wonderful little pin that is...

I have a higher-up helping me with this, and he strongly recommends replacing the roll pin with a bolt. I put a 6mm bolt in it and double-nutted it. I haven't put the shift tower assembly back into the trans quite yet, that's for tomorrow. My question is, is this an awful idea? I couldn't get another roll pin. I got a roll pin assortment from AutoZone, but their biggest pin was just a hair too small. I went to the hardware store and they had one just a hair too big and a hair too small... I am at a loss, and am not about to pay $136 for a new shift tower from Ford.

If a double-nutted bolt will hold it well, I'm perfectly fine with that. From what I've been told, I was told the shift tower assemblies from the 2000-2004 Focuses had bolts anyway.

Please let me know what's up, if this is fine or the worst idea ever, I need to know rather quick since the trans goes back in tomorrow haha. All is appreciated.