Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Flex Fuel...Why?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #45
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The point of E85 is not really to create a dependence on corn, but rather something that can be generated from a short biological process. Corn is a pretty poor ethanol source compared to sugarcane (Brazil), but cheaper bio-engineered ethanol might not be that far away.

Hydrogen, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. It can't be efficiently generated through electrolysis, and it's only used as energy storage anyway. High quality lithium or other batteries can do similar things efficiently. Incremental improvements in batteries are making EV's more viable, and it won't be long before quick charging stations start popping up killing the range argument.

It all boils down to how we get our energy. We pump it from the ground, mine it, or use the sun in some way through nature.
That makes sense and thx for the info re: hydrogen, but I agree with others that using food as mechanical fuel is a myopic mistake.