Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Pround new owner of 03 SVT. Need suggestions(long)
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Supertuner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101701
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Supertuner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I noticed he hadn't taken down the ad even though it was sitting in my driveway. I've had it a few weeks. But after buying it it's been sitting waiting for the budget ro re load. Plus, I haven't had time to work on it.
There is another for sale locally but, it's over priced. Honestly, having now worked on this one a little. Most are over priced. Unless some one can virtually document all service. Even then with the age these are they still have things that need attention. Such as ball joints, Cv axles and a myriad of items that wear out even if standard services are completed.Often these things seem just fine and you can drive one without noticing. But in short order you're going to have issues. And KBb is under 5000 for the best possible examples.

For example. With the first tire I've removed I found a cv boot thats torn. Which bugs me since I did look. But now I see that it's likely so old that the grease has accumulated road dirt and just looked as if it was standard grime. I was looking for fresh grease. But it's not making noise so I may just fill with grease and add new boots. My fault. Also the drop link from the strut to the roll bar has disconnected itself. I'm sure that will be fun re attaching on the car. And the lower ball joint on the right side looks in sad shape. Bonus is that I think I found the speed sensor issue. It popped out of the grommet holder and appears to have rubbed on the tire. And I disconnected the plug for cleaning. A dump truck load of dirt came out. Plus the dirt made it hard to operate the release clip. I'll externally seal this plus di electric grease should make it go further than original. Standard used car stuff I expected.

I expect to have about 5500 hundred total in this car when done. But, it should be good to go to 200,000 and drive proper and have proper reliability. So I felt good about getting it under 4000 since cars that people are asking 5500 or more are likely to still have all these same issues. But, that's also why I got the SVT. Once completely sorted it's a car worth owning. i would hacve worked the guy down a little but, I as trading him a motorcyle on the deal and he was taking it for what I wanted.

And looking at new car prices you can't complain. I hope to get 60 70 k more out of this one and looking at what that costs to get from a new car. It's a decent deal.

Yeah I know the bumper is going to suck. I may commit sacriledge and put a standard bumper w/o fog lights. It looks like so much ass without it. I drive to work over 40 miles round trip daily and I need to get this into service to cut my gas bill in half. Plus, I can dump my Expedition and re up with a ranger 4 x 4.