Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - SVT owners: Post reviews of your Tune!
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
revamp
Cashed in my chips

Fan#: 8133
What I Drive: notafocus

FF Reputation: 4 revamp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
1. Tom from www.focus-power.com
2. Diablo Predator
3. ~$515 shipped
4. almost 4 months
5. The tune was very easy to install, even though when I received my tune the "workaround" (removing 2 fuses during install) for traction control-equipped cars hadn't been discovered yet. Because of this, along with my Predator I got a "benchflasher" (a wire harness used to connect the Predator directly to the ECU, rather than to the OBDII port). The reflash time took about a total of 10 minutes, 5 to retrieve and store my factory tune into the Predator and another 5 to load the custom tune. After I loaded the tune, I fired the car up and went for a test drive (I did not reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery or anything like that). My first and immediate impression was that the surging was gone. Woo hoo! Second, there was no more bogging out during launches. I used to have to baby the car, almost coax it to get moving. Now, all it took was a gentle application of gas and a steady release of the clutch and we were on our way! The power band was also a noticeable difference. Prior to the tune, my power would only really kick in at 5-6krpms, now it took off from 1.5K all the way up! Wow! The exhaust note sounded more aggressive and the car just seemed to come alive around me. Originally I noticed a decrease in gas mileage and thought it was from the tune, but after a few weeks when my driving settled out my MPG came right back to what I was used to. I was just laying into the gas more than usual becuase I was having so much fun! Overall I have been very satisfied with my tune. I was worried that I might later regret the large chunk of change I threw down for it, but I'm actually glad I spent that money. *EDIT* One last note, I just spoke to Tom about his disabling T/C completely using the stock T/C button (without affecting the braking system) and I found that I already had that tune. I went out to test it (never bothered using the console button because I have the kill switch hooked up). At a stop, I pushed the console TC button and the indicator lit on the dash. I revved to about 3K and let the clutch go...a little wheel spin and no bog! I then had a go with my kill switch engaged. Same thing! So, Tom has made the stock T/C button able to kill TC completely, even below 25mph. Dang, I didn't even know I had that.

6. Tom was quick to answer any questions and offered to walk me through the install over the phone if I had any problems (which of course I didn't). Shipping took over a week, but this was because Tom had to wait for the customer before me to return the benchflasher so that he could send it to me. This is no longer an issue, though.
7. Link to my dyno is in my sig. All my performance mods are listed, and NO, I don't have a baseline dyno.

Last edited by revamp; 02-03-2005 at 05:10 PM.