Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #1212
JimsFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99994
What I Drive: 2012 Chevy Cruze,1966 Mustang

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I have no way to know if this is accurate, but that God awful sound makes me think that the clutch that's "next up" in the gear change process is engaging before the gears are ready, causing them to grind against one- another instead of allowing them to mesh. That just doesn't make sense because by the time you're ready for a gear change, the next set of gears should already be set to go. This is just the only scenario I can come up with that involves a software mistake during shifting....bad clutch timing, or a failure to completely disengage it. Clearly the people who have had their transmissions replaced and are still experiencing this issue have a software issue. Finding and exorcising that demon may be Ford's the biggest challenge yet..
I agree. I've worked on cars and machinery all my life and that's exactly how this noise sounds to me. These clutches , I believe, are controlled by 4 solenoids and it sounds like they are fighting each other or not operating correctly. I've heard the same type of chatter when solenoids or relays experience a voltage drop, contacts are dirty or corroded.

I don't agree with anyone who says this noise is normal. If it was normal, I would have heard it in first 1500 miles, (I didn't) and all Ford cars with the DCT would be experiencing the same noises (I know this isn't true). Also, if normal, the noise would be there from start up, mine takes at least 20 to 25 minutes of driving before the noise appears. Sounds heat related to me.

Thanks for your input, cbdallas. From some of the other repies here I was beginning to think I have been imagining noises and sloppy shifting.