Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Save the Manuals (Malibooya's Project Thread)
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #29
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
I'd be down for a phone interview! None of my vehicles are auto tranny. And if you want a glaring contrast, look at the motorcycle community. I only know of one motorcycle that even has an option for an auto tranny, which is a joke to anyone who rides seriously. :P
So riders with disabilities aren't serious riders and should just give up riding? There's definitely a market for clutchless motorcycles. A niche market yes, but there's still a market for them.

There's also more than 1 modern day motorcycle available that is clutchless - Honda, Aprilia and Yamaha all offer such options.

At our dealer (Subaru) we have about 80 new cars in stock. 3 are manuals - an STI, a Forester and an Impreza. We can't give away the mtx Impreza and we can't keep the CVT Impreza on the lot. Most are sold before they even arrive. There's a distinct lack of interest in the manuals, as many auto (mostly CVTs) produce higher fuel economy numbers. We also see the general attitude from parents who don't want to have their kid drive a manual or even learn to do it. The common reason we hear? It's another "distraction" for their child. I was taught on a stick and it was the only option I had if I wanted to drive one of my folk's cars. Learn to drive the stick, or walk.

My current car is my 29th vehicle, 25 of which have been passenger cars. All previous 24 passenger cars were manuals. I went with a DSG with my current car, but kept an open mind when I was looking, as I would have taken a manual. But my car came long, the color, bodystyle and mileage I wanted, and it happened to be a DSG.

Is it as "engaging" as a true manual? Nope. Is it fun to drive? Absolutely. Is it easier on my janky left knee in my stop n go commute to work? Definitely. Would I go with a good DSG again? In a heartbeat.