View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
redwake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100718
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the compliments and feedback :). The mods you see current state are not going to be changed.. I’m probably going to rattle can the small strip on my front bumper below the lower grille and above the lowes lip there is some gravel pits and paint chips from a previous owner… I want to put a shift boot on my ATX because the indicators are scratched.. I may end up changing to an MTX style shift knob. But the big item now is saving for FI leaning towards Turbo but SC is also an option at this point. Will be quite a while before I have funding allocated for this but unless some one else backs into my car its going to happen.

I also have some OE ford centercaps that should fit those wheels i'm going to try to get on in the next week or two (they aren't going to just snap in i'm going to need to mod the pressure ring).

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250lightnin View Post
That's really sweet and your wheels are AWESOME. Was wiring the gauge cluster very involved? Did it require needle removal? Sorry for all the questions but I am purchasing those exact gauges. Thanks!
Wiring for the cluster is a breeze and by no means the most difficult part of the install.. you just need to splice into the fuse box using a lead that’s only hot when the head lights are on.

The more difficult part is removing the entire cluster to install it taking all the needles off and the governing pins. you also need to remove the OE light bulbs that illuminate the cluster. Your factory dimmer is effectively eliminated by doing this. The BEM remote has a dimmer on it and I’m sure there is a method for splicing into that wiring harness to get it to work but i did not go that route.

Removing the needles on the cluster is probably the most time consuming element because when you put them back on you need to re-calibrate them. my MPH is still a little off but i gave up on it. Having the scan gauge computer you see on my steering column helped me quite a bit in re-setting these gauges.

Overall install time for me was about 2.5 hours; that would have easily been doubled without having an accurate reference to re-set my gauges.

There are Saleen clusters vs. this aftermarket solution. But, be warned if you go this route they do not include the indigo lighting you have to figure that part out on your own.

Also, your mileage is stored in your cluster so if you swap the entire thing your odometer reading will not be accurate. For me this overlay was the best option and I’m happy with the result… the only complaint I have is some of the numbers/icons don’t light up exactly with the factory ones no matter how hard you try because they used the funky font. After a couple weeks I got over it.

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.