Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89087
What I Drive: 2003 SVT EAP Screamin' Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 SVTFocusOnMe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickgt40 View Post
No problem with that.

Start with a fender roller to get the inner portion of the fender the correct shape. Then have someone hold the fender where it attaches to the body under the hood and pull. You're not going to hurt it but you can start slow to get a feel for it. You'll be able to pull the fenders out at the top of the arch enough that you shouldn't have any more clearance issues.

Do it on a hot day with the car sitting in the sun for a little bit. A heat gun when rolling the fenders is a must!!! Cracked paint + road salt = sad panda.

Yeah I am familiar with the process so I am going to do some research and see who is good for doing that in my area. I just worried about the paint cracking and then I have rusty fenders and a bigger headache than rubbing

But thanks for all the intel I'll keep you posted on how things go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm5s7 View Post
I think 8" is pushing it on the Focus, the recommended wheel width is listed at 7" to 7.5". I'm sure there are plenty of people running 8" wheels but they have really dialed it in to avoid rubbing

I believe the stock SVT and EAP wheels are listed at ET49

So with ET40 wheels, you are gaining +9mm in clearance on outside. But with a 1" wider wheel, losing 13.7mm clearance on each side. So your net difference is 4.7mm outside clearance lost on just wheels dimensions. Add to that a larger tire in width AND height as Nick mentioned, it's easy to see how clearance starts to go by the wayside

I think it was talked about also in a different thread but tires in a 225/40/17 size aren't made besides racing applications, Which would have been a preferred size to 225/45

Hopefully the fender mods solve your problems!
Yea I was pretty aware of the dimensions and what not when I made the purchase. I knew it would be tight but I like how it looks and drives so I'm happy.

YESSSS so much contact patch