Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyF View Post
You could be totally right that your purchased cars had engine bearing issues from maintenance problems. Note that I said I maintain to the letter of the manufacturer's intervals for all maintenance, whatever that may be. Many people do not even do that and I personally know many folks who've not changed the oil in their cars in 25k or more miles. THAT I do not advocate.
Well... sure. I had an '02 Taurus with bearing trouble. I bought it with 35K on the clock. Maybe it never had an oil change. I just find that unlikely.

Quote:
Again, I disagree about your last sentence because I do not think it improves your odds at all, and only buys that "good feeling" that you are going above and beyond.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. Oil--like coolant, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid--doesn't stop working all of a sudden like flipping a switch. It's a long, slow progression from "perfect" to "might as well run mud in the crankcase." If your carmaker suggests changing the oil at 10K but I insist on changing mine at 7,500, you're putting 1/4 of your miles on with more worn down oil than I am. Maybe your engine lives long enough to see you sell the car regardless, and maybe it doesn't. But your odds are certainly better changing fluids more often. (Whether that's worth your extra time and money is a separate philosophical discussion.)

Peace of mind isn't worthless either.