Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Flex Fuel...Why?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
Who said we were fully replacing oil? I just said it's renewable. And just like many other plants I'm sure you can use artificial means of growing corn indoors with artificial sunlight and so on and so forth, especially if the only use it's going to have is to provide fuel.

Either way, the dependence on oil needs to stop, but of course the oil industry is too greedy for that to happen, considering GM tried in the 90s with a perfectly viable electric car, of which hundreds or thousands now sit derelict in a lot somewhere because of the greed of the oil industry. Sad that over 10 years later we're finally seeing electric cars and other means of alternative fuels really taking off.
I agree that we have to reduce our dependence on oil, but the better way is reduce the number of oil power plants, a large amount of oil is consumed that way.

I also never said that you said that replacing it fully was the answer, but renewable doesnt help if there isnt enough.

using the math from here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...uestion707.htm

26.1 pounds of corn produces 1 gallon of ethanol. so a normal 12,000 mile a year car would require 3 acres of corn at 20mpg on ethanol

there are about 150 million cars in the US, so 450 million acres would be needed for corn production, there are currently 375 million acres used for crops now, so if we grew nothing but corn we would still not have enough for all of the cars, not even counting trucks.