Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Flex Fuel...Why?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Well there is the fact that if the EPA and the government try to force more ethanol in regular gas its better to have the car calibrated to run on it than getting screwed out of being able to drive on account of not being able to get fuel.

During World War II, gas was rationed... as it was during the 1970s as well, but for different reasons... since then I've seen SUVs being hawked and paraded around, with little done to consciously conserve what is a valuable fuel source... I'm surprised we don't ration nowadays, but who would believe the reasons behind doing so?

Is government basing its choices and what it is "forcing" solely on its own research, unfettered by lobbyists or other invested interests? Or are corn farmers and other interested industries compelling government?

That aside, from what little I've read -- Ethanol is claimed to be a net loss fuel. Not because one can use it as a foodstuff, but because of the amount of energy needed to grow and harvest it is more than what a converted fuel can provide... which includes petrochemical fertilizers and gas-powered vehicles to more efficiently harvest the stuff since nobody wants to pick it for 10 cents per hour...

The government could be looking at algae or other materials... even hydrogen, which is abundant but if mishandled could be too explosive for safe use - unfortunately... I wonder if algae could even be collected and converted... people talk about it but there's not much in the way of actual development... but corn is still being used, so there are clearly other factors I am not aware of...