Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Flex Fuel...Why?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
I've always understood what flex fuel cars were, but this is my first time owning one so now I pay more attention to it.

I am very curious as to WHY have a car that can run off E85?

It gets worse fuel mileage. It seems to be cheaper, but the lower MPG negates that. It's much more corrosive. And it's not like there's an ethanol station at every corner. I doubt too many people will be in the scenario of desperately needing gas and there not being a gas station nearby, but hey, "there's an ethanol station over there".

What is the point of Flex Fuel?
Besides the fact that the manufacturers got CAFE credits towards their fuel economy, as they got to count only the 15% of the fuel that was gasoline in their cafe mpg figures?

Well there is the fact that if the EPA and the government try to force more ethanol in regular gas its better to have the car calibrated to run on it than getting screwed out of being able to drive on account of not being able to get fuel.

The point was that the manufacturers got to make a cheap change that increased their cafe scores and gained them credits to use towards delaying progress in improving the actual fuel economy of the cars.