Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Question about post-cat O2 sensor
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Joboo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99593
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Joboo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
Since the removal of any vacuum line will admit air into the intake that has not been accounted for by the MAF sensor, you should produce a condition lean enough to cause a stall or low idle.

You should be plugging the vacant intake port, not the line, initially. If you plug the port and the idle improves, examine the fitting, hard plastic line and any other solenoids or valves in the path for leaks.

Another thought: Also check your EGR valve is closing and seating properly. If you apply vacuum to the fitting at the top and release you should hear an audible clunk. Not a definitive test, but at least tells you the spring loaded internal plate is moving. You could also try blocking the EGR intake port entirely.
I took the EGR off and bench tested it. Seemed OK - plunger moved freely and it held a vacuum.

I will try the vacuum test. I just assumed the symptoms of the various systems not having vacuum would be worse than my existing problem, but I guess that's not the case.

Thanks.