View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #255
DudleyF
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101203
What I Drive: 2002 Civic, 2007 Outback LLBean

FF Reputation: 1 DudleyF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
With modern engines, modern oil and the detergent additives used, the intervals you are talking about are just plain silly. You can make the argument that it's cheap, ink carts cost more, etc. but that does not change that fact that you are advocating plain, unnecessary waste. Milk is cheap too, but I do not buy gallons of it then go dump it in the street just because I can readily afford to.

I have put in excess of 230,000 miles on 13 different cars (that's 230k, minimum, on each, not all combined). Each was maintained to the letter of the manufacturer's maintenance intervals. In some cases the oil change was 5,000 miles (some turbo engines from the `80s), in most cases it is 7,500, and in others 10,000 or more.

In every single case; not some, not most, but every case I have had zero engine, bearing or any issues of any kind that could be traced to or blamed on insufficient oil changes. My Civic just passed 250k and still does not burn a drop between it's 10,000-mile interval. I have done partial tear downs of some engines I put over 300k on for fun (the engine was still running great but the body so corroded and structurally unsound from the salty winters we get here that the car was worth little more than scrap metal), and found no significant buildup in the oil galleys, valves, etc. Many independent labs have done studies on this and found that oil actually reaches it's best lubricating properties between 2k and 7k miles also.

You can of course piss your money away however you wish if it makes you feel better, but what you suggest is in no way better for your car, improves its performance or will make it last longer. The placebo effect is strong, however, and this is all you'll get from 3k oil changes.