Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #254
Napalm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83922
What I Drive: 2012 Focus hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Napalm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
y'all are gonna hate me.

First off - per other SAE studies. With a good filter and some time, i like a 5K change. with a good filter and some synthetic I trust, I will go until the monitor goes off.

However - what do I trust is a very short list. M1, Amsoil, and Castrol.

but as said if you just can't stand it - change it more often - hurts nothing but your wallet.

But my biggest thing - run a filter magnet. I don't care if you use cheap oil that you change often. I don't care if you use some magic brand filter etc (I prefer wix). I don't care what you drive.

USE A FILTER MAGNET!!!

Now I'm not also selling those 59 dollar filter mags from Jegs or Summit etc. Use what you can find easily.

I use the magnets off the heads of sonicare toothbrushes, or magnets out of a harddrive. Yes really. Why - they were free. And guess what they are strong enought to stay on the filter of a 500 HP v8 car in Memphis City traffic over a 6 month period.

Then they are also strong enough to pull iron metals to the sides of the filter. And again - cheap.

Meanwhile in my family car I use 9 quarts of Amsoil 5-30 and a wix gold filter.

for my new focus - I intend to use Amsoil in it too and some filter. That is up for debate currently.

My other car is a 4 door family car.