Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - High revs when idling, no one knows what's wrong
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Infernal01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101681
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol

FF Reputation: 1 Infernal01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[FIXED] High revs when idling, no one knows what's wrong

Fixed:

I fixed it, the problem was that my camshaft was chipped in one of the corners. I'm guessing this happened because of the timing belt being incorrectly installed.

All the other parts (IACV, TPS, etc.) had nothing to do with my problem.

Original post:

Hello, i was sent here by Djzx3 to ask for help. The problem started about 1.5 years ago, i tried a lot of fixes since then, i'll just sum them up:

The car:
2001 Ford Focus 1.6, petrol

The problem:
- when the car is not in gear and moving, the revs stay at about ~1300 rpm, sometimes going up to ~1900 rpm
- when the car comes at a complete halt, after 2 secs, the revs go down to 900-950 rpm

What i tried:
- changed IACV 4 times (new, each time), at this time, the IACV is blocked - no air going in
- changed TPS 3 times (new, each time)
- changed the throttle body
- checked for false air intake (nothing found)
- changed some air sensor (forgot it's name, MAP or MAF)
- changed PCV valve thingy
- exhausted 3 car services and a Ford dealer, no one knows what's wrong

Other things that may be related:
- after running for a few weeks like this, the IACV goes bananas, revs going up to 3-4000 rpm, right now it's blocked by a piece of plastic
- the alternator was giving over 15.5V to the battery, i changed both with brand new ones

I would appreciate even the smallest advices, thank you.

A short (15 secs) video with the problem - at about the half of the video, i stop doing anything (except braking of course):
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Infernal01; 10-16-2012 at 05:58 AM.