Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan1138 View Post
I installed the dash kit this morning.

There are a number of things to note:

1. The buttons at the bottom of the kit work and work well. But they are very cheap looking and stick way out of the dash. I wonder if it is possible to switch out the buttons. The entire build quality is acceptable but not great.

2. The secondary screen is placed farther forward by about an inch and a half to 2 inches. This brings it more in line with the double din space below it, and is aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately it leads to the following dilemma: if installing an aftermarket radio, the kit requires you to chop off two little plastic nobs extending down from the secondary screen. Fortunately I am keeping the radio intact.

3. I have the S, and the opening on the dash intended for the secondary screen is intended for the larger SE and up screens. It doesn't look horrible, but its not perfect.

Since I am adding a tablet to the existing radio solution, I was worried that when turning off the car the radio would require being turned on again. Since there are no controls on the dash kit for the radio this would be a huge issue. Fortunately it works perfectly. Upon turning on the car the radio turns on and accepts the last input (in my case the auxiliary input.)

Its unfortunate that this is the only dash kit around. It would be fine if it cost 20 dollars, but nothing really justifies the current price. The cheap buttons really detract from the look of the car. On the other hand, it fits well and looks OEM...albeit an OEM with questionable designs for their buttons.

Once the tablet comes and everything gets put together I will take some pictures.
And the button lights stay on for 2 minutes after the door is closed but it dose work good.