Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Would you buy a FORD FOCUS DIESEL?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #73
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
The problem with hydrogen fuel cell vehicles- if that's what you meant- is the low power output. Typically those get ridiculously low fuel economy as compared to anything else- the actual fuel cost might be less, but that depends on how you get your distilled water, and how far you travel. I like that idea too- if it can be made sustainable.

For one, you need to have enough "Brown's gas" to start the engine, so that means turning the key on, and waiting until the pressure is high enough. I don't know how that will work. Would a mix stay in the lines? Is there a danger of sparks from the electrical components on a low tank? What voltage gives the best return on gas with the lowest electrolyte? What is an acceptable electrolyte?
15 years ago it was a drawing in Popular Science. Maybe in that same amount of time from now, the couple of working, already on the world cars will have been improved upon to a point where maybe they're close to what some of the better EVs are like now, possibly better. Maybe it'll even be a hybrid of those two green technologies. That could really reduce the EV's need to be recharged (and thus reducing its draw from other carbon-emissions power sources; Why so few people question where the power comes from at the outlet is beyond me).

ANY, and I mean any non petroleum/fossil fuel solution will require drastic retooling of our infrastructure. But, no pain, no gain. Here's hoping someone smarter than myself with a mean slide rule and CAD figures it out.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie