Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
MFT may be a similar thing... I think the fact that many of the late adopters have had few issues while some/many of the early adopters are still having huge problems in spite of the fact that the software should be the same for everyone. And, since some of the early adopters have required the replacement of the APIM to resolve there problems suggests to me that either there was some bad hardware in the early cars or the early software is hosing the hardware. I have no way of knowing which of the two is more likely or if both is the case. It is certainly possible that the early software so badly managed the storage (flash memory) that it damaged it and now the APIM needs to be replaced to fix it. I just don't know...
For what it's worth, I've had just as many problems (more, actually) since the new APIM was installed.

I think the real issue is that - even with a new APIM - something is stored somewhere in the system that is *not* truly or fully wiped with a re-installation. Seems as though most people on here with a happy MFT system bought their car with v3.0.2 installed at the factory. My car's a 12/2011 build and had MFT v2.11 when I bought it at the beginning of January.

Just wanted to comment on your point about faulty h/w.

-----------------------------------------

MFT aside, I love most things about this car. And I'm in the same boat as the OP (though I'm already an owner) in that I keep cars for a long time - 10 years is the goal with the Focus. So, for my own sake if nothing else, I sure hope Ford fixes everything and I'm not up a creek once the warranty runs out!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6