Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #16
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Agreed and if I may on the DCT issue...

These are automated manuals. 2 traditional manual boxes put together. This has no clutch that you push, but it is still there.

No torque converters here - no smoothness that you are used to from a traditional crap box.

It will NEVER be as smooth as a automatic at low speeds. The only time a DCT is smoother is at speed or on a track. Its what the DCT is best at. Even VAGs boxes suffer from the same issues (the same ones Audi uses need I remind you) and even supercars with SMG/DCT boxes just suck at low speeds. If those can't get it right, I'm not sweating it that our 25k economy car can't either.

In fact the ONLY torque converter automatic I know of that is actually decent to use and isn't dimwitted is the ZF series of gearboxes, the 8 speed specifically. Given that we aren't all buying BMW 5 series and Audi A6s; let us settle for what we have. What we have is a pretty sophisticated and advanced gearbox in our cars; that alone is something to be happy for.

MFT?

Yes, it has its issues. Sync's original version was far superior. Less flash, but it worked.

I understand why Ford needed to upgrade the look. Just look at iDrive right now, MMI too. Mercedes and their COMAND system is that outdated so no point mentioning them either.

They should have baked it a bit more and the update we received is what should've been released with but all things considered?

Put it this way, MFT as it is right now is still better in terms of user experience than even iDrive. Only in the current generation has iDrive stopped being a miserable pile of crap to use. Audi's MMI is always better I think, maybe Ford should use them as a in-car entertainment benchmark

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!