Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Any interest in headlight modifications?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #20
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

Points 1,795, Level 24
Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24 Points: 1,795, Level: 24
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Figured I would help out here.. Since thats what we do here..

Heres some wiring info on the Headlamps/Park lamps circuits...

If it helps, great.. if not, well its worth what ya paid for it <grin>

All lights are run off the Body Control Module.. each bulb has its own dedicated circuit except the high beams. . The Headlight switch is digital and send commands to the BCM using Pulse Coded Modulation..

Wires of note...

Drivers Side....

Low Beam - Circuit Number CLF04 Brown/Blue Stripe.. Driven off BCM Connector #C2280D POS# 2... FET driven and BCM monitors current on this circuit and has short circuit reset protection...

High Beam - Circuit Number CLF02 Gray/Brown Stripe - BCM Connector #C2280D position #11 (Internally Relay Driven From BCM and Fuse Protected (Fuse F74 in BCM). Passenger side High beam is also driven from this same circuit but has its own wire coming off the BCM. (Purple/Orange Circuit # CLF03 From Connector C2280D position #10)

Passenger Side Low Beam -
Circuit Number - CLF05 (blue/Green) BCM Connector C2280D position #1 Also FET Driven and has current monitoring and short protection..

Since the low beams have current monitoring, you may have to compensate for the current draw of your HID's if they draw more or less current than the factory lights do...

There IS a GOTCHA to watch out for... The pass side low beam uses a Blue/Green Striped wire.. and there is a Blue/Green stripped wire at the drivers side headlight but it is for the left turn signal.. not the low beam headlight... so besure to take note of that...(Most people, myself included would see the common wire colors from side to side and assume its the same circuit.. but this is not the case here..

Other than that, good luck with your project.. I'm interested to see how it goes...

If the BCM for some reason freaks out on your HID's and detects a higher than normal current load (not sure how HIDs work in this regard).. the BCM will shut off the affected circuit(s) until the excess load (or short) is removed and the ignition key is cycled... I know when i did my fog lights I tripped the FET protection on the park light circuit and it took me about 20 minutes to figure out what the hell happened.. I thought i fried my BCM for a bit...