Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,171, Level 41
Points: 4,171, Level: 41 Points: 4,171, Level: 41 Points: 4,171, Level: 41
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I also have a late a later model FF (Ti HB built on 5/7/12) and have had no issues with the DCT in the 5500 miles I've put on it. I think I remember one or two instances were it acted a little weird in the first couple hundred miles but I've either adapted to it or the car has to me.

I should mention that I have lot's of auto experience given the many rental cars I drive every year and also a lot of manual experience as all but two of the 8ish cars/vans I've owned have been 5-speed manuals. With 5500 miles on my DCT I don't even have to think about it anymore.

OTH, some of the early adopters seem to have ongoing issues with the DCT and they may or may not be fixable with software updates. I really think some of the early adopters either had faulty parts or flawed assembly or the bad software early on may have damaged hardware so it's my opinion that some will need to have parts replaced. I also suspect that there will be additional refinements to the control software. The bottom line is that Ford can't walk away from this as it is too important to there future to have a viable DCT offering.

MFT may be a similar thing... I think the fact that many of the late adopters have had few issues while some/many of the early adopters are still having huge problems in spite of the fact that the software should be the same for everyone. And, since some of the early adopters have required the replacement of the APIM to resolve there problems suggests to me that either there was some bad hardware in the early cars or the early software is hosing the hardware. I have no way of knowing which of the two is more likely or if both is the case. It is certainly possible that the early software so badly managed the storage (flash memory) that it damaged it and now the APIM needs to be replaced to fix it. I just don't know...

But, as with the DCT system, MFT it too important for Ford's future for them to orphan it now. I am certain that there will be additional updates and it's likely the next one will be within about 3 months...

Brian