Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Your opinion: Will Ford "fix" the 2012 Focus for good?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Instead of giving my opinion (which really would mean didly-squat for your purposes) I'll try to stick with facts & tell you that my 5/24/12 build date Titanium 5-door has performed flawlessly since about 200 miles on the clock. (it's approaching 500 now). I did notice some wierd behavior from the transmission during the first couple hundred miles, but it has since smoothed out and operates very comparably to a traditional automatic. The one difference that probably won't ever resolve itself is the strange behavior (for an automatic) it exhibits when reversing up hill. I don't like it, but I do understand why it does it. It acts very much like a manual-transmission when I back up my fairly steep driveway and into the garage, so I do have to make allowances for its tendency to roll forward if I let completely off the throttle. My auto-equipped Optima would just hold its position when I let off the gas, so you do have to pay attention when backing this car up hill. It just took some getting used to. What I'm getting at with all this: I think the programming in the more recent build dates may have tamed this transmission.

I've only had one instance with MFT that made me leery of it, but it's also learned to behave and I hope it continues. I probably haven't seen the last of the "System Update" screen, but it's been fine since the one day that it refused to turn on, and then refused to turn off. I will also tell you that it's been a bit less than willing to act right when attempting to play music from my IPod Touch via BlueTooth. It refused to remember the connection to it and my phone (HTC Incredible 2), and would 'forget' one or the other every time I turned off the car. But being a problem solver by nature, I just bought a short USB cord and plugged in the IPod....and it's been fine ever since. Sometimes I just find a way to fix something rather than go get in line at the service department.

My last items are in regard to overall build quality. The last few cars I've owned have been Japanese and Korean, and as picky as I am, I wasn't able to find anything awry with any of them in regard to fit & finish. I've already found 2 items on this car that I'm less than thrilled about.

The paint on the hood, sides & rear of the car looks great. The paint on the roof is less than stellar. From an angle (the only way to view the roof without a ladder) the paint has a dull haze to it. It reminds me of paint that's been sitting out in the sun for a couple of years. It's not faded..it's just not shiny or terribly reflective. I'm still trying to decide if I should get out my orbital buffer and have a go at removing the haze / smoothing out the clearcoat, taking it back to Ford for a remedy, or just living with it. Due to past experiences, the last thing I want is a re-paint. But dull paint on a new car bugs me. I'm a fanatic about having a clean, shiny car.

The other fit & finish item I've found concerns the area where the hood, right fender & right A-pillar converge. It's VERY different (the gap is wider and misaligned) on the right than it is on the left. My impression is that the hood is imperfectly shaped on the right side...like perhaps someone dropped the hood on the extreme aft right edge and bent it slightly, all before it was installed & painted. But in the interest of not having anything re-painted, I've opted to just ignore this. It's just disappointing that after 15 years of refusing to buy an American car because of some pretty bad quality problems with my '97 Ford Ranger, and having several cosmetically & mechanically perfect Japanese & Korean cars, I discover something like this still going on with Ford. This should've never left the factory as-is. Again..I'm nit-picky with stuff like this...it may be something that few others would've even noticed. To me, it's like a sore thumb.

Sorry to ramble. Just trying to give you the facts about my recent purchase. All is good, with a couple of small flies in the chardonnay. I think the Focus is something you'll be happy with as long as your expectations aren't too high in regard to the DCT. I've started noticing the noises from the transmission, but I know why it's making them, so until it leaves me stranded aside the road, it's steady-as-she-goes. Happy hunting!