suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
What's causing the problem with the 6F35? Is it overheating?

I've convinced my parents to break their ties to Chrysler after receiving a few bad Chrysler vehicles and they will most likely be buying an Edge or an Escape ... I'd hate for them to get one with a bad transmission.
I don't know specifically what caused a few of them to fail, including the one at the proving grounds, but personally given past experiences I still don't trust the Van Dyke assembly plant to build a durable product, even if the 6F35 is much improved over the older 4 speed ax4n/4f50n. If you maintain the car and change the transmission fluid early and often it might be ok, but heat is definitely a contributing factor to the failure of the earlier units at least. The fluid gets cooked and then fails to lubricate effectively, damage ensues and the car fails often around 100k miles, at least in cars that my family had owned that never had the fluid changed except maybe 1-2 times in that time frame.

It's likely fine now, but historically Ford hasn't been known for great FWD automatic transmissions as far as longevity is concerned. I also have a personal bias against the use of torque converters on engines with less than 2.0L of displacement, regardless of power output as they tended to really suck the life out of the engine. Manual or DCT is ok as it doesn't have a lossy torque converter eating the power and allowing the car to constantly creep forward due to the peak torque multiplication just off idle.