Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
The 1.6 and the DCT are absolutely a dream in that thing. Even with it being a heavier vehicle, it handles great, there is plenty of torque obviously, and I would say the DCT performed better than my dads DSG in his 2.0T Passat. The gearing seemed bang on the money. I don't think I've ever driven an auto where I didn't complain about it within 10 minutes.
The Escape uses the 6F35 which is a normal planetary gear set automatic with a torque converter, not a dry or wet dual clutch set up. Just because it has select shift control software doesn't mean that it is a DCT.

I actually don't like the 6F35, sure while its working it might be ok, but I've had a bad history with anything coming from the Van Dyke transmission assembly plant in the past, both with cars that my father owned, as well as other family members. AX4N and 4F50Ns that lost the pump shaft between the torque converter and the transmission, ergo no forward drive. Pretty much every FWD torque converter auto they made has or will fail before it was expected to. On the proving grounds at an SAE conference last year a 2011 Fusion with the 2.5L i4 and the 6F35 was suffering a hard engagement into first and felt like it was slipping and eventually overheated. I had to move forward a few feet to get into position to launch the car, came to a stop, then when I rolled into the throttle when given the clear to go it failed to move right away. It then hit first gear hard and chirped the tires when I had not tried to do so.

However my grandfather's 2009 Mariner with the same powertrain hasn't had any issues yet, but he only has around 22-25k miles and most of the ones that have failed had between 106-114k miles.

The 6F55 has a higher torque capacity and might be more durable, but the 6F35 is not as durable due to the lower torque capacity.

I so far prefer the DPS6 DCT in my Focus over the 6F35 for anything with less than 2.0L of displacement. If the Escape used even a wet clutch version of a DCT it would be preferrable to me over the 6F35, but I understand why they went with the 6F35, it just creeps better due to the fluid coupling/ torque converter and feels more conventional.