FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STACY810 View Post
It has not gotten better after 8000 miles. My car is unsafe and I am afraid to drive it. I regret the purchase. There is no excuse for the way my car runs...I found out by looking on the internet what the problem was. Send out a recall notice or something....my first Ford and will be my last.
STACY810 -

We never like to lose customers. I'd like to escalate this to your region's Customer Service Manager. He/she will coordinate with you and your dealer on any repairs, if needed. Please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, dealer info, and a description of the issue you're experiencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
...I tried to "baby" it to avoid hearing the noises but that doesn't work, the only way to smooth it out is to drive consistently and let it learn my way of driving. I figured I had two technicians tell me it was fine, and I found a DCT fact sheet online which not only told me about the tranny but also what noises I might experience...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan1970 View Post
...I had the same shuddering problems but the more I drive the smoother it gets...Don't be afraid to hit the gas and go,...I've been told that an occasional shudder or rattling noise is typical for this type of tranny and until I feel something different I'm just going to drive and ignore it. My service dept told me everything was fine so that's good enough for me.
+1 for driving it normally! "Go Go Gadget Focus" when I press the gas too. The transmission will learn/break-in the more you're behind the wheel. We're aware this hasn't happened for some owners and are actively looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaraestewart View Post
I bought my 2012 Focus in january, and noticed that it shuddered every time I when I had to slow down and take off with out stopping (when some one turns in front of you in a residential area, or at the supermarket)...My car now has almost 13,000 miles, and it is shaking even worse, and doesn't seem to want to take off with any 'omph' like it used to, especially when I really need it to, like getting on the interstate. Please, someone... HELP ME OUT WITH THIS! The car doesn't ever shudder when I take it to the dealership for them to look at it, but as soon as I get it back it starts doing it again.
melissaraestewart -

I'll see how I can help out! Please shoot me a PM with your VIN, phone #, and dealer; I'll loop in your area's Customer Service Manager. When was the last time you took it to your dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I heard the rattling for the first time yesterday as I rolled through a McD's drive-thru. It just sounds like gear shafts moving around, possibly rattling within their bearings a bit...

As for the surging / stuttering / indecisiveness, mine continues to improve with every drive. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (knocking furiously on wood).
You're doing your part by breaking it in; it'll continue to improve over time. However, you know how to reach me if you sense anything out of the ordinary. It sounds as if your Focus's tummy was growling for some McDonald's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
...Even the manual refers to a break in period. As for anyone driving the car other than the owner the DCT Focus adapts to that driver immediately. My son drives mine without complaint...
I prefer to say it's a learning experience for both driver and vehicle. I'm sure your son has fun in it!

For all, check out the owner's guide (5th print, pg. 5): https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...OwnerGuidePage. This page covers the break-in period some more.

Always available by PM,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford