View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #234
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
While the issue of NOACK can be of some concern to owners of D.I. vehicles, there are other ways around it. While it is a higher one-time investment, it can save you money in the long term versus paying for expensive boutique oils with low NOACK numbers. It's called a catch can.

The oily & corroded intake valve horror stories started at Audi and has since filtered its way down to Mazda & GM owners, and I'm sure Fords will now suddenly become afflicted with it now that D.I is becoming mainstream in their vehicle lines.

I guess I'd just prefer to stop the problem upstream (PVC system) rather than try to fix it with oil that doesn't evaporate as much (but still evaporates to some degree). Catch can usage is rampant in the Mazdaspeed community, and they're even catching on with Hyundai 2.0T owners now that that engine is growing in numbers in the enthusiast groups.

I rather spend my oil dollars on oil that concentrates on its most important jobs...lubricating, cleaning and cooling. Amsoil seems to have a handle on all these attributes, PLUS NOACK, but it's not as readily available to me as Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum, and it's pretty pricy if I'm to include "preferred customer" membership dues, shipping, or the gas it costs me to go pick it up 40+ miles away. If there was an Amsoil store down the street from me, I might be inclined to buy it, but there IS a WalMart just down the street, so my choice is simple. In addition, I can't use Amsoil in my Camaro until it attains a DEXOS certification, which I won't hold my breath for. So, "Candy" will have to make do with Mobil1, & possibly a catch can down the road.