Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1 View Post
I agree that this transmission will not be fixed. ...........
Well, technically it is not broken so no fix is necessary. I fully agree with your assessment about lack of consciousness. The only solution is consumer education. It exhibits some occasional noise and harshness that can only be masked by a viscous clutch. The Ford Focus dry clutch automatic tranny will never behave as smoothly as a manual transmission with an experienced operator because the computer control unit that operates the clutch simply can't anticipate what your right foot is going to do next. It does not know when it's appropriate to freewheel and it can only "react" to throttle position changes. The computer can't see ahead to make any proactive decisions. In a car with standard tranny, your clutch foot proactively knows exactly what the right foot is about to do (unless you're sharing pedal operation duties with somebody). Conversely, your throttle foot knows what the clutch foot is planning to do at every moment in time. Last time each pedal was operated by a different brain was when my grandma let me operate the throttle I was about 12 years old. I specifically recall her applying the brake shortly AFTER I applied too much throttle lol. The Ford automatic probably operates the new Focus more smoothly than Mario Andretti and Jeff Gordon could, each operating a separate pedal. I think they'd blow the motor, wreck the car or fry the clutch within 30 seconds and resort to blaming each other.

This new auto transmission is the best thing for folks wanting optimal shiftless efficiency. If you are NOT willing to sacrifice some smoothness for greater efficiency and performance, maybe look elsewhere.

PS: Thank goodness for no proprietary jacks. The industry standard for nearly the last decade has been USB with mp3, mpeg and jpg file formats. The USB cable interface will eventually be superceded by wireless bluetooth which Apple will grudgingly adopt. I'm not an Apple, Microsoft or Sony fan and I don't appreciate their marketing tactics. Ford was first to market with integral USB and it's compatible with about 100 current models of smart phones from dozens of mfrs (all except one lol).

Last edited by Lscman; 07-09-2012 at 03:52 PM.