Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - anyone using premium gas ?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #393
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1 View Post
You guys doing this are something. I have a Lawnboy mower that needs oil in the fuel and it has had E10 since the early 1990's. Pioneer Hybrid Seed uses 25 or so horse power Honda engines on the belt conveyors at their seed processing plant and my cousin said a year ago they had like 4 to 6 thousand hours on E10 without problems. You guys must have relatives in the militay that need a job guarding the Middle East oil industry.
That's fantastic for you. I, however, have had nothing but carb problems on my mowers, running fresh E10.

From http://www.boattest.com/Resources/vi...px?NewsID=3465 ...

Rob Gleason, service manager of Bee Line Yamaha Super Store in St. Joseph, said 70 to 75 percent of the boats they see at the beginning of the boating season are coming in for a carburetor cleaning due to buildup from oxygenated fuels. Oxygenated fuels include substances such as ethanol and biodiesel and contain oxygen, usually intended to reduce carbon emissions.

You'll notice they actually point out that small engines running ethanol are different from typical car engines in that we tend to drive our cars daily, whereas mowers and the like sit idle for a week or more at a time. The article is specifically about boats, which can sit idle for weeks or months, but some power equipment engines sometimes also do (tillers, etc.)

This is just the first example I found. Try Google, there are hundreds more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I don't want to be 'that guy', and I hope for you it is otherwise, but my rough idle has always come back. Every time I have thrown something new at the car it reacts with no rough idle, but after a few hundred mile it returns.

After running 93 through your tank a couple of times, if you so desire, switch back to 87 for a tank (or less, go less). You will notice the decrease much more easily than the increase...
Yep I have to concur. I just noticed this morning, about 400 miles into running 93 octane, that my rough idle is back.