Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released.
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #262
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,839, Level 94
Points: 23,839, Level: 94 Points: 23,839, Level: 94 Points: 23,839, Level: 94
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarson View Post
Just a question for someone who may know more than I;
If Ford had dozens of engineers and millions in research for the new focus' engine, and there was a way to increase power AND fuel economy, don't you all think they would have already done it? Why would a smaller company(I'm not by any means calling K&N small) who undoubtedly spent way less on R&D than Ford, be able to improve so much on something which has been already developed so thoroughly? Do you think it is only a noise issue? Because the difference in cost for materials for both a CAI and what they put into the stock Ford intake must be marginal. So what gives?

Don't get me wrong, I brought home my brand new sport pack SE hatch tonight(YES!!!!) and I DO want one of these K&N CAI's! (CARB sticker please Troy!!!!!!!!!)
I obviously cannot speak for the Ford Engineering Team, but it must be taken into consideration that they have to design a vehicle for the masses. NVH is a huge consideration when designing a vehicle, and our run-of-the-mill Focus is less designed for us enthusiasts than it is for the mass of people who want an economic work/commuter/small family car. I would be willing to bet that they settled where they could, because perfecting every single system on the car would have shot costs through the roof.
2014 FiST-