Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released.
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #259
BLarson
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58905
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST3 OX White

Points 2,969, Level 33
Points: 2,969, Level: 33 Points: 2,969, Level: 33 Points: 2,969, Level: 33
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 7 BLarson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenhart View Post
Maybe I'm being stupid... but does it really matter if it's legal in California? I can always swap back to stock for smog... maybe I'm missing something. What kind of fines/penalties could I run into?

Looking for input from people besides Troy on this one, haha.
Yes, it matters. Because with out that ridiculous special little CARB sticker, you won't pass smog. Or if you get stopped and a police officer asked to see under your hood (which they can legally do) and you don't have a CARB sticker, they can cite you, and at their discretion send you to the state referee for a full vehicle inspection(which also isn't free) The latter is VERY unlikely because this is a brand new car we are talking about, not a '90s Honda Civic with a four foot wing, coffee can tail pipe and a hello kitty dangling from the rear bumper.

(no offense if any of you own something like this)
Now with that being said, you can risk it and just put it back to stock before smog comes around, but what a time consuming pain in the butt. That is if you can remember how to return it properly and can find all the stock pieces still. It's just wise to stay legit.

Okay Troy, I understand California is a liberal, granola eating, money sucking, powerful engine hating, requires extra BS hoops to jump through for every freakin thing, kind of state; but it is still one of the biggest and BEST states in the union! So please don't punish us because we like perfect weather and beautiful women!! Give us our CARB stickers and double your sales(slight exaggeration for effect)!!!