Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #204
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
What do you guys think of Pennzoil Ultra? According to some guys on BITOG, oil vapor is the major cause of intake valve deposits in DI engines and a low volatility oil is recommended. Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 seems to have the lowest Noack Volatility - 5.0% (Amsoil Signature is 5.7%)
Ultra's above reported 5.0% NOACK Volatility is incorrect. It's not possible for a 100% group III formulation to have a NOACK lower than 10%. Any formulation containing group III base stocks will naturally have a high NOACK. This is why Mobil 1 refuses to include this specification on any product information sheet. They do not want the "educated" public to know they are using refined petroleum yet calling it "Fully synthetic".

Pennzoil Ultra's NOACK for their 5W-20 grade is actually 12.6%, and is verified by their very own .pdf product sheet.

Ultra .pdf - scroll down

Pennzoil Platinum's NOACK for thier 5W-20 grade is higher @ 13.2%. They were sneaky hiding this .pdf sheet. It was not listed on their website, I had to internet ninja the link.

Platinum .pdf - scroll down

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 is the king of low NOACK @ 5.7%

ALM 5W-20 product info - scroll down

Even OE 5W-20 that is 100% group III has a better NOACK than Ultra @ 10%. If someone is looking for very affordable oil for their focus, wants to achieve the 10,000 mile OLM rating, and wants to sleep easy at night. OE offers the BEST bang for the buck.

OEM 5W-20 product info - scroll down

You are correct about higher NOACK causing more deposits in a direct injected engine. That's why I choose to use the lowest NOACK percentage available in Amsoil ALM 5W-20 Signature Series. I will also be installing an oil separator to get what little does evaporate in the crankcase and sucked into the PCV system. Since Signature Series has half the NOACK %, it will also have 50% less chance for potential deposits.

For the record, Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend has a very high NOACK in the 13-15% range. To be API SN certified, no lubricant can exceed 15% NOACK Volatility.