Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #189
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
As a side note... If you're not already using a larger filter for higher capacity on your 4.0, you can use the filter for Ford small blocks. It cross-references to Motorcraft FL-1A. It looks like you might already be doing this since you mention 6 quarts, but I thought it was worth a mention...
Yup, I've been running the FL-1A since I have done the first oil change!

It's thrice the size of the stock mopar filter ... I think the huge filter caused the oil filter adapter to leak from bouncing around off road with almost an entire quart of fluid! haha. To fill my jeep from empty on an oil change is right around 6.5 quarts.

The last oil change was with Rotella T6 and I ran it 6000 miles. I'm going to change my Cherokee to Supertech synthetic 5-30 in November/December (whenever it starts getting cold). I'll probably have a total of 7000-7500 on it. I'm going to do a UOA then to see how it did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
You can't beat a UOA for gauging the efficacy of YOUR engine's OCI. It will be interesting to see what the internal monitor thinks of my Amsoil fill. Wonder if it will trigger the "change soon" at all before I chicken out?

Factory fill gets dumped this week @ 3500 miles. Will get UOA at 10K at a max for the new fill. Will base OCI's on the 10K UOA.

Aren't the OLM based on mileage, throttle usage, trip length, etc?