TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
I didn't take the time to read the entire, but I'll add my thoughts on the matter anyway.

I used to run exactly 3000 miles and change the oil. If I was over a bit, I'd freak out and think my engine was going to blow up. Guess I was pretty naive at the time.

When I got my jeep and decided to switch all maintenance / most repairs to ME, I started reading up on oil. My 4.0 is an "old" designed engine with not-as-tight tolerances as modern engines. Anyway, the common theme was that it is safe to run 5000 on synthetic on that engine.

My 2011 Focus' owners manual suggested 7500 miles OCI. At first, I wasn't entirely sure whether or not that would be a good idea. When looking at used oil analysis for this engine, I think 7500 on a synthetic would be entirely reasonable. Maybe even 10!

There's a few reasons why it's able to go 7500-10k miles. First is, it has a larger oil capacity per liter of engine than my Jeep. It's oil capacity is 5 quarts, my Jeep's is 6 ... it has half the engine displacement. Second, as with any "modern" non DI engine, it has tight tolerances and isn't hard on oil. Until recently, I had been doing it at 5000 since I qualified as "severe service".

Since my last oil change, I've had a ton of highway driving, I'm going to try to extend it out to 6500 this change. I need to keep it within owners manual specs for warranty purposes.

Once I get out of warranty, I'm going to do two oil changes a year. One in November switching to 0w-20 and one in may/june switching to 0w-30 - it should be about 6000-8000 per change. Oil filters will be changed haflway through the interval.

Now, DI engines may be a bit different. Since they're new, the affects of using oil longer aren't entirely known. They do tend to be a bit harder on oil and have more fuel dillution. If I had a DI engine and was going to do an extended interval, I'd do a used oil analysis at 6000 to see how the oil is holding up.
You can't beat a UOA for gauging the efficacy of YOUR engine's OCI. It will be interesting to see what the internal monitor thinks of my Amsoil fill. Wonder if it will trigger the "change soon" at all before I chicken out?

Factory fill gets dumped this week @ 3500 miles. Will get UOA at 10K at a max for the new fill. Will base OCI's on the 10K UOA.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D