Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 owners Post your MPG's
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #1062
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 3,971, Level 40
Points: 3,971, Level: 40 Points: 3,971, Level: 40 Points: 3,971, Level: 40
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxman View Post
First post and the new owner of an SE sport manual hatch. I am getting very low MPG somewhere around 20.2 mostly city and I have a question about the shift light. My other car I drove for 20 years was a 92 manual paseo and it always got in the upper 30's. I would shift it around 2-2200 rpm and it did just fine. The new focus tells me to shift WAY before that and even tells me to shift into 5th at 35mph? I have under 200 miles on the vehicle and I am sure the mileage will get better. Is the shift light this quick for other manual users ? Could my software be screwed up? I have been following when it tells me to shift except when it says shift into 5th when going 35mph. The difference in technology in 20 years is amazing! I hope the focus makes it to 520,000 like the paseo did! I am loving the car! Any insight into the shift light would be appreciated.
Do not take your first tank numbers as a hard number -- things will change. If you are doing a lot of city driving (St Louis) I'd be surprised if you got more than 30 in anything besides a hybrid, but with only 200 miles on your car you can't know much of anything about mileage.

First, the car mileage display may not be that accurate and it depends on when it was last reset. Also, there is some break in and after 1000 miles or so things loosen up a bit and mileage tends to improve. But, weather and driving style have a huge impact on mileage so you really only get an idea of mileage after several tanks of gas.

Give it time...

Also, on the shift light, if you follow that AND you aren't heavy on the gas pedal you should see better mileage. Shifting at lowish rpm but heavy gas isn't going to be great for mileage...

Brian