Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Infra-Red Focus RS replica/conversion build!
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #33
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
So continuing with my DIY fashion, I played around with my OEM RS wing on lunchbreak....and I noticed a few things I didnt like. Mine's damaged (bought it damaged on purpose) so I won't feel bad bastardizing an OEM RS part to make something my own(as with everything else in this build). The mounting points don't line up with the USDM focus holes in the hatch, so new holes have to be drilled. One of the mounting studs is already busted, and it would be pretty hard to mold the wing in a way that I could retain these in reproductions anyways.....so I'm going to grind them off and attach it with screws instead. I also don't like the way the wing goes "on-top" of the hatch, rather than feathering out to the edge of the hatch to look like its PART of the hatch rather than an add-on.

SO, I'm going to make it mount like a stock USDM wing, and feather out to the edge of the hatch-top.....then reproduce it in Carbon Fiber :)

Oh, and the grille fit like GARBAGE, so I sent it back for refund. I intend now to make a proper-fitting RS style grille by molding my ST170 grille and making a fiberglass shell that I can put some wire mesh into and acheive the RS grill through DIY methods but still have an OEM fit/finish.