Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Bad steering?
Thread: Bad steering?
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Points 1,350, Level 20
Points: 1,350, Level: 20 Points: 1,350, Level: 20 Points: 1,350, Level: 20
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
For what it's worth, my Focus does the exact same thing. I find it feels too heavy most of the time, and it springs back to center way too hard... except when going slow, when I actually have to force it back straight.

I had electric steering on my previous car (Rabbit), and it was about the only part of the car I actually quite liked. I agree the Fiesta's steering is actually excellent, too. The Focus just doesn't feel right... too heavy, and sometimes it's fighting really hard, sometimes it isn't doing a thing.
Good luck getting it resolved at all, though. I can see dealers refusing to ever admit there's anything wrong with it...
No, like I said in my post, the rental Focus did not have these issues and it's steering was as good as my Fiestas. I beleive the rental was an earlier build also as it had the speaker in the middle of the dashboard. I believe they deleted the middle speaker in the SE's. Mine does not have it even though mine is optioned with the sport option, sync, etc.

Bimmer-Bob, the tire pressure is the first thing I checked. Also no tire wear indicating a bad steering component such as a bad ball joint. I used to work on my own cars and I've done just about everything short of rebuilding an engine so I know quite a bit about cars and what can cause what. I just stopped doing my own work because I no longer have the time or a place to do the work. Besides why should I on a new car under warranty? Also I had my alignment checked. A bad alignment would cause pulling to one side or the other. Wouldn't make the steering wheel jerk back to center. Low tire pressure would do the same as a bad alignment. But in my experience the tire would have to be very low. Like 15 lbs or more under. A bad ball joint would put wear on the tire, usually on the inside of the tire AND it would usually make a noise when you do a slow turn, like backing out of a parking lot. No, I think it;s the motor in the steering trying to force the wheel to center itself. My guess is because it's electric, it has a program to tell it to do so. As far as electric steering, from my research on other car reviews with it, usually the critics say it feels artificial or too light. Never heard of them say it yanks itself back to center like mine does.

As far as a dealer saying there's nothing wrong with it, can't discount everyone else such as on these and other Ford forums that say they experince a similar problem. Especially when others have had thier steering racks replaced to correct the problem. Personally I know I am not imagining it. My Focus definately has a problem. I am taking it in tomorrow to be checked again.